Pro Prep Solution
Lotta Bull UnBULLeavable Rub
Favorite Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce (We used Big Bob Gibson’s Red this time)
12 oz. Can of Chicken Broth
1. Trim fat off of the thigh.
2. Place Pro Prep Solution and appropriate amount of water in the tumbler and add chicken.
3. On your Culinary Prep, pull the vacuum until it is into the green area
4. Chicken for 20-30 minutes depending on how much chicken you have in the tumbler. We went a little over 30 minutes on this batch.
5. When the tumbling is done, remove chicken and let drain. We find that a colander in the sink works perfectly.
*Notice the color of the liquid left in the drum. Just think, you would have been ingesting that.
6. Bag up your chicken and put back into the refrigerator for at least 12 hours, more is preferable.
7. After you have lit your fire in your cooker (We use a Big Green Egg set up for an indirect cook), stabilize it at 270 Degrees. Add a nice chunk of hickory wood for some more flavor.
8. Next, place your thighs skin side down on a baking sheet and liberally dust them with the Lotta Bull UnBULLeavable rub.
9. Flip them over and repeat the process on the skin side. You can lift the skin and put more rub directly on the meat if you would like. Let them sit out for about 15-20 minutes until the rub melts into the chicken.
10. Next, place your chicken thighs on your preheated smoker (Big Green Egg) and let them cook for about 90 minutes at 270 degrees. Remember, we are doing this with indirect heat.
*When you get them on the smoker, give them another dusting of rub.
11. After 90 minutes, pull the chicken off the smoker and place skin side down in a disposable lasagna type pan.
Add 8 ounces of Chicken Broth to your BBQ Sauce (We used Big Bob Gibson’s Red) and heat it until it is hot and pour it over the thighs until it is about half way up the pan.
13. Place back on the smoker and cook for about an hour until the internal temp is a minimum of 165 degrees. Try not to go much over 170 degrees. Remove and enjoy!